One of the things I tend to forget the most is to snack. I eat 3 meals a day, if I’m lucky, and usually my snacks consist of FRS energy chews (2 a piece) or some granola. Here’s some ideas stolen from Life’s a Journal
- First, buy a “bullet” type blender if you don’t have one, they make most of these snacks so much faster and easier ( I have and love this one).
- Smoothie: 1 cup frozen fruit (I like sliced strawberries, pineapples and mangos), 3 ice cubes, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (I keep mine in the freezer so it’s frozen!). This will end up being roughly 100 calories with 6 grams of protein.
- Malts: Try to find a protein powder that you enjoy but that is low in fat and calories yet high in protein. This one from SlimFast is an okay option, it has 10 grams of protein in a serving and since you will generally not be mixing it with milk the calories will be far less than 200. I also like this one from GNC. Try blending 1 cup of water, 3-4 ice cubes and one serving of the protein powder together for a malt-like snack. Mix it up by adding in 1/2 of a frozen banana.
- Protein bars: I mentioned this in the first post but find ones that are below 170 calories, have at least 10-15 grams of protein and less than 4.5 grams of fat. Don’t eat more than one per day. My favorite ones are Proti Bars.
- Nuts: Nuts are high in protein and are generally a good snack since the fat in them is a good fat. Try pistachios or almonds but remember to pay attention to portions. Here’s a fabulous article on snacks and portion size.